Project Photos by Renewal SA
The Bowden Development is one of South Australia’s greenest residential developments.
It will have 2400 new dwellings with 3500 residents, commercial and retail mixed uses and has achieved a 6 star Green Star Communities rating. It currently has the highest concentration of Green star rated buildings in Australia. Each new development in the project must achieve a minimum 5 star Green Star Design and As Built rating. dsquared Consulting was engaged by Renewal SA to develop the Green Star and ESD protocols, system and approaches for Bowden and have worked directly on the majority of building projects within the development.
The former industrial land is being progressively remediated with some existing heritage buildings to remain and a number of old warehouse buildings have been refurbished for community and commercial uses. All homes are connected to recycled water for toilet flushing and washing machines, and parks are irrigated with recycled water.
Transport initiatives include shared street design with walkways and slow traffic environment to promote walking, facilities for cycling, local shopping, share cars and free hire bikes, a unique shared shopping trolley for each apartment building and reduced provision for vehicle parking.
Energy efficient building design is required by Green Star and many buildings have achieved significant reductions in peak electrical demand. Water sensitive urban design features are included in many of the streets and parks.
Projects in Bowden which dsquared has worked on include:
- Bowden 354 | Project Partners: Buildtec & Hames Sharley
- The Artisan | Project Partners: Hindmarsh & Tectvs
- 56 Seventh St | Project Partners: Acdev & Grieve Gillett Andersen
- Loft on Seventh | Project Partners: System Built & Williams Burton Leopardi
- Gibson & 7th | Project Partners: System Built & Williams Burton Leopardi
- Terraces on Sixth Bowden | Project Partners: Rivergum Homes & Tridente Architects
- Luminarie Apartments | Project Partners: Catcorp & Tectvs
- Aeries on the Park | Project Partners: SA Project Developments & Swanbury Penglase
- Bowden Seven | Project Partners: Rossdale Homes
- Nine on Sixth | Project Partners: Scott Salisbury
- Green Leaves | Project Partners: Emmett
- Unity Headquarters | Project Partners: Buildtec & Hames Sharley
- Plant 4 | Project Partners: Renewal SA & Ashley Halliday Architects
- Plant 3 | Project Partners: The Market Shed
- Lot 52 | Project Partners: Emmett & JPE Design
- Lot 3001 | Project Partners: Development & Advisory, Studio Nine, & Metricon
Bowden, South Australia
Environmentally Sustainable Design
Building Performance Simulation
Green Building Ratings
Engagement & Advocacy