Project Photos by Defence Housing Australia and Ken Long
Located in the revitalised urban precinct of Bowden in SA, the Princes Terrace Adelaide is an environmentally friendly residential development spread across approximately 1,206m2.
It comprises 12 high-quality homes under a community strata title—a mix of eight terraces and four mews flats—each with an average NatHERS rating of 7.2 Stars. The project has been designed to be climate responsive and ensure maximum comfort for residents. To meet this high standard, it was holistic a range of sustainability principles were integrated into the design. These include energy, water, waste, health and wellbeing, sustainable materials, transport and impact on natural ecology.
The development showcases measurable action toward climate change and reducing the environmental impact of the construction industry. The building uses 65% less energy and 55% less potable water when compared to a standard Australian residential dwelling of similar scale—while also producing fewer greenhouse gas emissions. Throughout construction, the project was also able to recycle 95% of all waste—that is 132 tonnes of materials that were diverted from going to landfill.
In March 2018, the project achieved a ‘6 Star Green Star Design and As Built’ certification from the GBCA.
Watch the Project Case Study video.
The project has received the following industry awards:
- Architecture & Design Sustainability Awards – Green Building of the Year (2018)
- Architecture & Design Sustainability Awards – Multiple Dwelling (2018)
- The Urban Developer Awards – Excellence in Sustainability (2018)
- UDIA SA Awards for Excellence – Small-scale Development – Residential (2018)
- UDIA SA Awards for Excellence – Environmental Excellence (2018)
- HIA Law Solutions Australian GreenSmart Awards – Townhouse/Villa Development (2018)
- HIA-CSR South Australian Housing Kitchen and Bathroom Awards – Townhouse/Villa Development (2018)
Princes Trust of Australia
Defence Housing Australia
Environmentally Sustainable Design
Building Performance Simulation
Green Building Ratings
Engagement & Advocacy